Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dragonfruit

Yesterday I bought one of these at the grocery store:

It's called a dragonfruit and every time I see them at Safeway I say I want one and Craig says no because they are $5 each (*$5* EACH!) and he thinks I will forget about it in the fridge like most other fruit I buy. This week I put one in the cart anyways. I'd been told they taste like a combination of a pear and a kiwi, and I love both of those fruits. How can I lose?! When I got home I Googled how to prepare it, and it seemed pretty easy...

According to The Internet, I only needed a few simple tools, and delicious dragonfruit would be mine!

Step 1: Cut your dragonfruit in half the long way:
To my surprise and delight it looked exactly like the picture on my dish soap:
So far so good! On to the next step!

Step 2: Run your big spoon along the outer edge to loosen the white part, and then scoop the whole piece out. It comes out fairly easily, you can see by my pic that one came out a bit different than the other:

Step 3: Trim off all the pink skin (according to the internet it's unhealthy to eat, no mention why but I dutifully trimmed mine), cut into cubes and put them back into the skin "bowl". I don't think you have to put it back into the skin but it sure looks fancy!

All that's left now is to eat it!


So what does it taste like? To me it has the texture of pears from a canned fruit cocktail, but the taste of a kiwi that's slightly less sweet than usual. The little seeds are the texture of kiwi seeds as well. It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment